Like most of you, I live for the weekends. Even though I’ve worked the past two weekends at events on Saturday night, I still have the days to do whatever I want (including homework)! Luckily, I’m sneaking home for a few hours tomorrow to go relax, so today’s homework day. But I still need my fuel for the day and I love brunch on the weekends. Brunch’s a little more indulgent and you can play around with all kinds of pancake, waffle, and egg recipes.
I always have eggs and when I saw Meghann’s sweet potato hash browns, I knew I wanted to make my version today. So I did.
Sweet Potato Hash (serves 2-4)
1 sweet potato
1/4 red pepper, small diced
1/4 onion, sliced
salt, pepper, 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
1. Peel and dice the sweet potato.
2. Over low heat, add 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil, the sweet potato, onion and pepper. Toss around so everything’s covered with the oil. Season with salt and pepper and cover with a lid to let the veggies soften.
3. Once the veggies are soft (about 5-10 minutes), uncover and raise the heat to medium. With a spatula, press o the potatoes to brown, flip and press again until their browned on most sides.
4. Add the dijon if using and toss.
5. Serve! For mine today, I added some swiss chard, roasted parsnip and roasted butternut squash that I add in my refrigerator with half of the hash browns and then topped with a fried egg.
If you have veggies in the fridge to use up, use them. You could also add ham or bacon to the potatoes too which would be very good… mmmm…. maybe tomorrow.
YUM! and I even have left overs for tomorrow! Or maybe waffles will be on the menu….
Back to work! Have a good Saturday! 🙂