Yup, I’m a Ravens fan… and they lost today 😦 They SHOULD have won, but just didn’t follow through because of penalties. Why do you make me so sad??? Moving on…
I was looking at recipes last night (because what else would you do at midnight but go through recipes online?) and saw this cake on Fine Cooking and had to make it today.
Fastest Fudge Cake (makes 8-10 servings)
adapted from FineCooking.com
For the batter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of espresso powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. table salt
4 oz. unsalted butter, melted and warm
1-1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup hot water + 1/2 cup of buttermilk
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and heat the oven to 350 F. Grease the bottom of a 9″ round cake pan or line it with parchment.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.
Sift only if the cocoa remains lumpy after whisking.
3. In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and brown sugar with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Add the eggs and vanilla; stir until well blended.
4. Add the flour mixture all at once and stir just until all the flour is moistened.
5. Mix the hot water and buttermilk in a measuring cup and pour over the batter; stir just until it’s incorporated and the batter is smooth.
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
8. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 min. Run a thin knife around the edge and invert the cake (peel off the parchment if necessary). Invert it again onto the rack and let cool completely.
For the ganache
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 milk or cream (I used 1%)
1. In the microwave, warm the milk until it’s just boiling, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Put the chocolate chips in a blender.
3. Put the warmed milk over the chips. Cover the blender with lid, leaving the center opened little bit for the steam to come out. Blend until smooth.
4. When the cake is completely cooled, pour over the cake, letting it drip over the edges.
5. Enjoy!!! but try not to eat it all in one sitting 🙂